Sunday, October 05, 2008

Belgian Waffles


Every weekend my husband does a Breakfast Jamboree. Usually pancakes or crepes that he perfected in France. This weekend I requested belgian waffles because I love them oh so much. The night before, I picked up the box and our belgian waffle maker came out the bottom and crashed on the floor. Luckily, I was able to borrow one from a friend, and we still got to enjoy them. This was a GREAT recipe (although labor intensive) that I found online if anyone wants to try them...take note, it is supposed to sit for an hour after making the mixture, but we only let it sit for 20 minutes. My husband and kids did a great job! So delicious!

Belgian Waffles
INGREDIENTS
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 egg yolks
2 3/4 cups warm milk (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled to lukewarm
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups all-purpose flour
3 egg whites

DIRECTIONS
1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/4 cup warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the warm milk and the melted butter. Stir in the yeast mixture, sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir in the remaining 2 1/2 cups milk alternately with the flour, ending with the flour. Beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks; fold into the batter. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.

3.Preheat the waffle iron. Brush with oil and spoon about 1/2 cup (or as recommended by manufacturer) onto center of iron. Close the lid and bake until it stops steaming and the waffle is golden brown. Serve immediately or keep warm in 200 degree oven.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Looks so yummy! How fun...Justin and I have to start making traditional things for weekends...

Unknown said...

Mm that looks so delicious!
My roommates and I had a crepe/pancake jamboree for conference Saturday morning. It was so much fun! And I realized how much I miss "real" breakfasts :)